Saturday, March 7, 2009

What Game Writers Should Have

When embarking on any project, I think it's a good idea to take an inventory of what you have, and what you need. In this case, I think it would be appropriate to compose a list of what I ought to have ready for people I'll be approaching about game writing work.

It seems like a good idea for the moment to approach smaller companies and independent developers. These companies are more likely to be open to writers with less industry-specific experience. Items of note should include:

A resume and cover letter: These seem like no-brainers, but I suppose some people do forget to include them. My work as a writing tutor and educational experience will be of some interest to potential employers.

A sample portfolio: It seems that everyone's looking for samples from the get go. In the case of this writer, I may just have to invent sample work from hypothetical games. I have read that it is appropriate to invent "lost levels" for games that are already released, in order to display appropriate writing skill. I'll be double checking this, but it sounds like a plan.

With the expectation of eventually approaching larger companies with my work, a portfolio that is filled with independent project work would be ideal.

Diversity in writing: Game writers are called on to perform a number of different projects within a development process. Manuals, dialogue, storyboards, and even design documents are handled by game writers. It would be a good idea to become familiar with the nuances of each of these forms, in order to accurately write them for employers.

A network: It would be a good idea to get in contact with others. There are several free communities where independent developers come together.

This list in a work in progress, but it seems like we have all the basics for getting started. When more pops up, I'll be sure to update the post.

No comments:

Post a Comment